[plug] IPv6 In Australia!

Craig Foster Craig at fostware.net
Sat Jun 11 10:46:18 WST 2011

Daniel Foote said:-

> > Amcom and a few of the larger transit providers have been providing
> > IPv6 with their corporate internet services for quite a while now,
> > which is cool. We've got it set up at work (in our DMZ, anyway), and
> > if I can be permitted a small plug:
> >
> > www.dec.wa.gov.au.      79205   IN      AAAA    2405:6a00:10::10
> >
> > :) It's been running for about a week now. I keep meaning to set up an
> > IP alias to 2405:6a00:10::dec:dec:dec:dec but I can't find the time...

Ha! And my friend thought it was my internet was running slow... I'll tell her she was using IPv6 via the US :P

> +1 for Amcom's IPv6 service. I enabled the whole of our office network
> just last week (in time for World IPv6 day). The transition was pretty much
> painless and completely transparent to the users on the network.
> Most of our development work is now done over IPv6 (on the local
> network) which shows up fun issues with web applications that expect
> IPv4 addresses.

I'm eagerly awaiting some sort of IPv6 option for residential connections, even if it's a couple of bucks (like extra IPs)
It will mean losing a /48 used for CCNA/CCNP work though (each VLAN having its own /64).

> It's a different way of thinking with every desktop machine having a fully
> internet routable address... with the appropriate firewalls on the router, of
> course. And also getting used the fact that you allocate an entire /64 for a
> network segment... blows the mind a bit!

And every new printer, NAS, and (suitably new) mobile device is just as accessible.
The scale of a /48