[plug] PLUG AV Project needs an 'old loaner box'

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Tue Mar 22 13:22:18 WST 2011

On 21/03/11 12:58, Tim Bowden wrote:
> Pluggers,
>
> Does anyone have an old box not being used?  Are there any 'corporate
> types' out there that have spare kit lying around that management
> would approve being 'lent' to a community group?  Even an unassembled
> mobo/cpu/ram combo would probably fit the bill if we can't get a
> working box.  Dual core would be very nice, lots of ram always
> appreciated though we do have some spare sticks that might do the
> trick.  If you've got something laying around that you could lend to
> the project it would be really appreciated.  We're planning on getting
> a working system together, at which point we'd be looking at an LA
> grant to purchase new(ish) kit.  At that point we could return any
> loan boxes.
>
> Once this project is off and running, we can then do live streaming of
> PLUG meetings and presentations so it's a very worthwhile cause.  I've
> already loaned two working boxes to the project, but the third I had
> lying around has a dead motherboard.  If anyone has a spare socket 939
> mobo that supports AMD64-x2 processors, that would be *awesome*.  If
> your spare box needs transport, just yell and we'll see what we can
> do.

I've got the following in use at the moment, but if pushed a bit harder I could probably free it up
this weekend. I don't have any spare infrastructure (case/psu/etc) but the Motherboard / Ram / CPU
can go as a job lot on an indefinite loan basis if you are still stuck.

[    0.124328] CPU0: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ stepping 02

brad at storage1:~$ free
Mem:       4059828    4027240      32588          0    1423684    2282692

# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.4 present.
64 structures occupying 1914 bytes.
Table at 0x000F0000.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
         Vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
         Version: ASUS M2N SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 0901
         Release Date: 04/22/2008
         Address: 0xE0000
         Runtime Size: 128 kB
         ROM Size: 1024 kB