[plug] Questions about GING and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at mapforge.com.au
Sat May 14 17:28:05 WST 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 13:27 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> I have since installed Ubuntu 10.04LTS on that computer, but my
> preference is not Ubuntu, due to things that it incorporates that I do
> not like, like the complex UUID disk partition device identifiers,
> rather than nice, simple, "/dev/hd<"a" | "b" | "c"><n>" (where n is a
> number), identifiers, and, the use of the horrible sudo thing, rather
> than the more dignified and more secure, "su - root".

It is ridiculously easy to resolve those issues if you really want to.
First give root a password (sudo su - , then passwd).  You might want to
check you haven't fluffed it before going on to the second step which
would be (without looking at the documentation) something like
commenting out the
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
line in /etc/sudoers.  Or removing the inital user from the admin group
in /etc/group.  Either should solve the problem.

As for the uuid issue, I would strongly advise you to keep it and
understand it.  It does solve some very real issues, and doesn't have
any drawbacks apart from a few minutes learning to understand it.  If
you really want to change it, then try editing /etc/mount to suit.  Not
that hard.

Tim Bowden.