[plug] Mumble, mumble, mumble (multi-user voice chat service)

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue May 17 15:32:56 WST 2011

Hello all,

Introducing the PLUG Mumble server. Mumble (and the server, called
"murmur") is a multi-party voice chat application, kind of like /Team
Speak/, but built using open source codecs like CELT. We've put this
mumble server on *mumble.plug.org.au* (Bath), so feel free to connect
and "/talk amongst yourselves/"! ;)

Create any username you wish when you connect.

Mumble supports having multiple "Channels" (or rooms); they can be
organised as a hierarchy. You can configure it so that everyone can
talk, or only certain people can talk and other can listen. It does not
support video at all; it is purely a voice chat application.

Have a play and see what you think. The client is cross platform, and
supports text messaging between individuals (or to an entire room), the
client can also use text to speech for text messages. For transmitting
audio it can either to "continuous send", "voice detection", or "push to
talk". There is an Android client as well, but our experience in the
past is that it is buggy and crashes a lot!

As this is running on bath, with plenty of CPU grunt, I'm hoping it
performs better than other slower hosts I've tried this on.

  James

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au