No subject

Tue Nov 29 10:43:08 WST 2011

impossible to access X from another process on the Linux box due to
the host control locked down by magic cookie method.

David Campbell

Date sent:      	Mon, 01 Mar 1999 10:53:06 +0800
From:           	Trevor Phillips <phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au>
To:             	David Campbell <campbell at torque.net>
Subject:        	Re: Backspace and Linux X-Windows ...

David Campbell wrote:

> > I've set up at Curtin a neato NFS-Root setup. Have it so from a PC in certain
> > labs, one can select an icon, which fires up loadlin + kernel, and NFS-Mounts
> > the Linux Root from a remote server. This linux is set up to load X-Windows
> > then do an 'X -query skuld'. ie; Remote X-Terminals.
>
> Been there, done that (with HPs though)

I've set up the NFS-Root Linux as HP Term, but this time:
  - It's using the latest Debian
  - It's set up so a local set of defines can alter network parameters,
X-Windows params, etc ...
  - It's a pretty complete local system in itself (may use as local UNIX later
in my labs)

> > Problem is, backspace doesn't work!! As in in motif dialog boxes, etc,
> > backspace deletes -> that way not <- that way. ie; Has the behaviour that
> > delete normally has! Do you know how I can configure the Linux X-Server to map
> > backspace to the RIGHT thing??
>
> Umm... . o O ( Where did I put that script?!? )
>
> I had a system where when the person loged in, a script peered at the
> X server and then did an xmodmap (as in keyboard reassignment) based
> on the result. I think I have the necessary C code on a ZIP disk
> somewhere...

Ummm. This runs where? On Skuld/remote machine?? I'm trying to avoid hacky
solutions on Skuld/remote machine. Is there no way to remap it from the
client-side?? (X directive after the X -query??)
xmodmap, eh? May have to investigate that ...

> > A few other queries:
> >   - Tried NFS Exporting from a HP (tried HPUX 9 & 11), but the dev dir seems
> > corrupt. Ended up NFS Exporting from another Linux box. Any ideas how to get
> > mounted off a HP?
>
> How did you make the device files? Using the MAKEDEV script?
> Also did you enable the "export device files" in /etc/exportfs, if
> you don't then bad things happen.

The dev files look fine when I ls -al on the HP's. It's just the export that's
the problem. How do I enable device exports on HP? Didn't see anything in the
man pages concerning it...

(Not that the PII 300 w 256 Meg of RAM makes a BAD fileserver, but it was not
meant to be an NFS server... ^_^;;)

]
] Apparently the major numbers get through, minors don't.
] - David Campbell
]

> >   - Seems I can X -query everything (other linux boxes, Solaris, HPUX 9) EXCEPT
> > HPUX 11!! Just sits there with the hourglass, and I THINK a proccess thrashes
> > away on the box. Any ideas??
>
> Does HPUX 11 hang for all window modes or just HP-VUE? From memory
> (without racing down to the "dungeon" and trying the VMS 7.1 box),
> the CDE (Common Desktop Environment) supports three different window
> levels (from brain dead to all the bells and whistles). If it is
> every window mode then there is a few scripts in /usr/vue (AMG! it
> has been a while since I have mucked around with HPUX) that handles
> remote X terminals before it hits the window manager, otherwise there
> are a few scripts which handle the response for each window manager.
> Anyway, there is a few clues...

This is before you log in. As in, you do an 'X -query skuld' and you get the
HP-VUE Login window on Skuld, where you enter username + passwd, + select what
style session you want.
This ain't even making it THAT far for HPUX 11... Just the hourglass...

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :