[plug] Getting a Vodaphone Huawei dongle working

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 4 15:12:33 WST 2012

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 01:39:28PM +0800, Bob Adamson wrote:
> The first thing I would do is put the broadband sim in the phone and
> check the connection is working with the settings you found.
[...]

Good plan. (If the phone is unlocked, or locked to the same network)

> On Sat, 4 Feb 2012, Richard Meyer wrote:
> > Huawei K3771 dongle, running Oneiric Kubuntu with kernel 3.0.0-15-generic 64 bit.
> > Number to dial is *99#
> > Username:password pp.internet:vodafone
> > APN - live.vodafone.com
> > ... which I gleaned from one of those Googled things

Not if it's prepaid - that APN would need to be:
	vfprepaymbb

The username:password can probably be left blank.

http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/mobile-broadband/modem-setup/
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/Mobiles_APN
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1849943

I'm sure you can get this device working, but one alternative is to
trade in for a wifi device, should be $40 at Dick Smith or other phone
shops currently.  I have a postpaid Huawei E585-2 PocketWifi2 ($2 a
month Vodafone plan, pay as you go) using the vfinternet.au APN.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal