[plug] Windows guest VM's

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Sat Feb 9 12:37:01 UTC 2013

On 29/01/13 15:34, Brad Campbell wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I often have a need to fire up a Windows VM for work (Autocad, Protel,
> Coolpack, etc).

On the same vein, I've just discovered the ability of Spice to run
Windows guests with Multi-head. No tricky setup, full arbitrary resizing
on each head independently. CAD Bliss.

The spice gtk client just gives you as many windows as you've configured
heads, and you can put 'em where you like.

Very, very cool.

I'm running my VM's on an AMD FX-8350. Given AutoCAD is widely
acknowledged for being almost entirely single threaded (and therefore a
waste of multi-core machines) I wanted to run the VM up on my desktop (a
Core i7-2600) to see if I would benefit from an Intel CPU hosting the
VM's. In all honesty, not enough of a usability difference to consider
"upgrading". Barely noticeable in fact, and may well be the network
latency compared to local VM and client.

I was led to believe that the Piledriver was a bit of a slug when
compared to Intel processors, but it's not at all a night and day
difference (unlike the price).