[plug] Network Cable Fest Update

Euan de Kock euan at dekock.net
Sun Feb 24 14:23:36 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

A special thank you to everyone who helped out with the cabling session
at Spacecubed this weekend - really fantastic effort (I'd say Awesome ,
but I'd have to put money in Bret's "Awesome Jar").

Thanks, Craig, Jason, Michael, Kevin, Bret, Luke, James and Nick (in no
special order) you guys really put in the hard yards this weekend!

We have managed to fully wire up 20 network points fully, including
ducting, patch panel cabinet, all wires everything. Really good effort.

We have a few minor issues to still complete - choosing a gigbit capable
switch, installing it and fixing two points that failed compliance
testing at the patch panel end.

I'd like to get some suggestions for a suitable switch - 24port,
1000base capable, and less that 250mm deep. There is also an intent to
put power over ethernet - I'm not sure what impact this has on our
selection criteria - advice please.

I'll try and get some pictures up on Facebook soon, but I'm tired
tonight and it's getting late.

Again, thanks everyone.

Regards,

Euan de Kock,

President - Perth Linux User Group - PLUG.