[plug] Lateral thinking .... sort of

Richard Meyer meyerri at gardenshark.org
Sat Sep 28 06:21:02 UTC 2013

The other day I decided to try a different distro - I went from SUSE
12.1 to Mint KDE 15 - just because I could and as a test to see how fast
my new NBN connection would download the DVD (6 minutes in case you
wondered).

Anyhow, after the installation, everything was working except Evolution
- it refused to connect and download mail .. no way, nohow.

So pulled open the laptop and fired up evolution and restored my mail
and there it was ...

This was on Kubuntu 12.4. Drat!!

Don't want to have to use the lappy for mail and the main machine for
everything else .... So early to bed to "think".

Next morning I killed Evolution on both boxes - SSH -X to the laptop
from the desktop and run evolution - WHAM!!! email.

I WOULD claim to be a genius, but I'm sure it isn't all that clever -
just an example of how you can use X and its forwarding abilities to
your own advantage.

It's Saturday and I'm bored - it's COOOOLD here.

--
Richard Meyer

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt, 1783

Linux Counter user #306629