[plug] Bonded ethernet balance-rr and or active-backup

Paul Del p at delfante.it
Sat Nov 15 10:13:54 UTC 2014

Hey guys

Any one had experience doing bonded ethernet on Debian
I have read a stack of Debian/Ubuntu/Red Hat Howtos and manuals

*Specically balance-rr and or active-backup mode
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/debian-ubuntu-teaming-aggregating-multiple-network-connections.html

I am using two interfaces on an Intel dual gigabit nic pci-e card 82571EB

A couple of things:

my on board Ethernet(the one eth0 I'm not bonding) seems to get confused
with the bonded ones on the Intel pci-e card eth1 and eth2

I have tried both balance-rr and active-backup mode and when I unplug a
network cable both interfaces on bond0 seem to go down of line(then I do
/etc/init.d/networking restart

modprobe looks fine, kernel messages are shown in /var/log/messages and I
can see the state changes in /proc/net/bonding/bond0

Also I have set up /etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf and /etc/network/interfaces
with the same modes

I might be missing something obvious or not correct

Any help or comments would be helpful.

Cheers Paul