[plug] Systemd, good or bad

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 7 22:56:59 UTC 2014

Systemd caused one of the longest ever flamefests on the gentoo mail
lists! - end result is openrc is still the default init but we have to
put up with odd bits of systemd and its servants scattered through the
system :(  Systemd had a (very) few supporters but its more that its
being forced on people against their better judgement.

The reputation of the systemd devs is very poor due to pulseaudio so
that is a black mark against it being just "accepted" - the battle lines
have already been drawn - it will be interesting to see if redhats data
centre business suffers irreparable damage as the resistance from server
admins is very high against it.

Keep in mind that "YOU", the typical user are just collateral damage -
the target of systemd is the cloud.  Fast boot, use it and and then
throwaway the image when done is the target.  Keeping an image running
reliably for months is not a priority any longer (check out the use of
"chaosmonkey" in the data centre).  When people like gnome (another
bunch of losers :) jumped on board it has twisted the market towards
something that's just not appropriate for most individual users.  I dont
think I can hold out forever, but will do do so until its no longer viable.

Dont like where your distro is going - choose another or build your own
- give up and follow the sheep, you are lost!

>From a happy lxde, moving to lxqt, eudev and openrc user :)
BillK