[plug] Linux training for ...

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Dec 13 07:33:54 UTC 2015

I've received a few private emails on addition to those here on the list.

Thank you to all who responded.

To be clear, I'm not looking to make this a Linux vs the world affair.
People don't respond well to being told that their choice of computing
solution is crap and that their investment into the Microsoft ecosystem
might have been better spent.

So what is it that I'm attempting to discover and discuss?

I'd like to change the perception that Linux is something that you need to
learn, that you need perceived advanced skills, that you need to be a geek
to use it, that it's a special niche solution and that it's difficult.

It's true that for years it's been hard work using Linux, but today Android
phones are everywhere and people are unknowingly using Linux by doing so.
This is a good thing.

People don't buy an OS X machine vs a Windows machine, they get what their
friends have or what the software they're familiar with runs on. They get
what's available at the shop and sold to them by the guy in the store.

Businesses increasingly are becoming aware of the hidden cost of computing,
forced upgrades virus infections, forced reboots, built in hardware
obsolescence and I personally think this is a great place to start.

I'm not interested in Bash vs csh or Gnome vs KDE, Debian vs RedHat
conversations, rather I'd like to explore how we, PLUG, as a community
might go about introducing some of the aspects of Linux and Open Source to
the business community.

Perhaps this takes the form of presentations to ROTARY, the local BEC,
Chambers of Commerce or some other avenue. Perhaps it's a run your business
more effectively podcast out some other thing.

Ideas, comments or feedback?
--
finger painting on glass is an inexact art - apologies for any errors in
this scra^Hibble

()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..