[plug] Intel igb module issues

Dean Bergin dean.bergin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 19:15:56 AWST 2023

Hello PLUG,

I am in need of some guidance with what appears to be a bug discovered in
the igb kernel module.

Now, full disclosure, I'm a Network Engineer, so I have checked and
verified my L1 is good, so please don't ask about that part as I've done
extensive troubleshooting on that front.

Now onto the problem description.

The issue I'm faced with is that the NIC seems to drop down to 100Mbps full
duplex.

Hardware:

   - NIC: Intel Corporation 82580 Gigabit Network Connection (NC365T 4-port
   Ethernet Server Adapter)
   - Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E ACE (MS-7D69)

Software:

Debian GNU Linux 12.4

Kernel: 6.1.66-1 (2023-12-09)

Throughout my troubleshooting so far I've discovered that

   1. Clears when bringing the NIC down and back up again but
   intermittently manifests some time after this
   2. Happens intermittently after bringing the NIC down and back up again
   after clearing the issue (see point #1)
   3. Unplugging and replugging does NOT clear the the problem
   4. Happens with NetworkManager and traditional debian
   /etc/network/interfaces config
   5. Does not seem to occur with Kubuntu 22.04.3 (running Kernel 6.2.0-26)

It definatelty smells like a bug, but what I'm ultimately seeking
assistance with how I can find what version the bug may have been fixed in
and what options are available to avoid me having to install and use Ubuntu
22.04?

The versions of intel's drives do not align to the kernel version and as
such I'm not sure how to determine what the closest kernel-compatible
module is that may have a fix for this.

There doesn't seem like much value in reporting since the bug isn't
observed in the newer kernel offerd by an OS about a year older than Debian
12.4, but I've already lost a lot of hours in gettin this host ready for
production.

igb modinfo and ethtool output from the Kubuntu live ISO:

kubuntu at kubuntu:~$ modinfo igb | egrep
"(filename|description|srcversion|depends|name|vermagic)"
filename:
/lib/modules/6.2.0-26-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/igb.ko
srcversion:     D229109E0BC58ECA2BB8F3F
depends:        dca,i2c-algo-bit
name:           igb
vermagic:       6.2.0-26-generic SMP preempt mod_unload modversions
kubuntu at kubuntu:~$ sudo ethtool enp3s0f0 show
Settings for enp3s0f0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        MDI-X: on (auto)
        Supports Wake-on: d
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
        Link detected: yes
kubuntu at kubuntu:~$

igb modinfo and ethtool output from the Debian pre-production host:

dean at hdcpplkvm001:~$ modinfo igb | egrep
"(filename|description|srcversion|depends|name|vermagic)"
[sudo] password for dean:
filename:
/lib/modules/6.1.0-15-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/igb.ko
depends:        dca,i2c-algo-bit
name:           igb
vermagic:       6.1.0-15-amd64 SMP preempt mod_unload modversions
dean at hdcpplkvm001:~$ sudo ethtool enp3s0f0 show
Settings for enp3s0f0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported