[PLUG-AV] Spending the Grant: Mumble session, tomorrow, 7:30pm.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Mar 20 09:57:05 WST 2012

Hello all,

It's time to spend our Grant money!! I'd like to do a mumble session
tomorrow to work through some of the items we're after that the grant
covers. In essence, we need to decide once and for all:

* 3 "Ingest" laptops (firewire capture).
* 1 "DVswitch" laptop (vision mixing, and encoding).
* 1 Audio mixing desk
* Various microphones, including a good wireless one
* XLR leads (possibly an XLR snake with 2 returns so we could do PA with
this?)
* Two tripods and cameras

I've spoken on the phone to Pauline at Lottery West - as this is our
first grant, we must pay for this from PLUG funds up front, and then
seek reimbursement. This means we can do this in multiple transactions
up to around $2,000 (PLUG's balance), then get reimbursed over about 2 -
3 weeks, and then repeat. For our laptop purchase, it may mean splitting
this into two transactions, unless we can find some other form of
credit! But lets keep this simple...

We are free to purchase from anywhere so long as have have an
invoice/receipt. This include online, and Amazon. Amazon is a lot
cheaper that a lot of local retailers, but Amazon won't ship many
electrical items directly to us, and those that do arrive may need
different power supplies.

*Laptops*
We've been looking at Laptops with both ExpressCard and USB3, and that's
lead us to the Dell Vostro 3550. I've had a slew of issues with Dell's
I've used before, and other comments about ExpressCards "popping out"
unexpectedly may be an issue. DO we want to keep the USB3 requirement
for future expansion, or do we want to drop back to a laptop with
on-board firewire? What about another vendor?

*Cameras*
We had looked at the Canon HV40 HD at $888 from Camerapro.com.au. These
had firewire, and were also full HD capable. I think one of the core
items we need to look at is low light capability - looking at the Moodle
talk the image quality is rather low on the cameras we had. The cameras
we used at PyCon US 2012 were Panasonic AG-DVX100 (NTSC, 3CCD); a
current model Panasonic AG-AC120EN is around $2,999, so that's a bit out
of our budget. Jason - were you mentioning an alternate?

*Tripods*
PyCon had a full height Davis & Stanford Provista 18 with an FM18 ball
head (on Amazon for US$189.95, includes carry case). This had two
operator handles, and was full height (well, to my shoulder) with legs
fully extended (and centre lift at lowest) and had a centre spreader so
it was very stable. Compared to "my" tripod we've been using, this was
much more stable, and this price seems OK. I note Amazon is suggesting
the Tiffen W3 universal dolly for $40 as an accessory (to put it on wheels).

*Mixing desk*
The one I purchased (and have been loaning into the pool) is a Behringer
1202FX, 12 input 2 bus at $97.95. I think the only complaint we've had
with it was the blue LED on it is very bright! Do we want to get
something different for PLUG?

*Microphones*
The boundary mics I purchased (and have been loaning) are MXL FR402 at
US$92.22 each. I have two of these, and I think that works well in a
panel session like we have been doing with three people - Euan can
comment on the sound pick up of this approach. I think having one is
perhaps a little low, but I doubt we need more than 2. We probably need
a wired podium mic as well - Euan - what's your mic, and how does that
compare to the Shure PG48 that I have? As to the wireless mic(s) - we
need one GOOD wireless transmitter body-pack and receiver, a good
lavalier or head mounted boom mic, PLUS I think its worth getting a
wireless handheld audience mic (no more having a thick XLR trailing
around). Models?

*XLR Leads*
I have lent a bunch of these into the project, but I think its clear we
should probably get an XLR snake with 4 "sends", and I think it would be
useful to have two "returns" for any future PA that may be incorporated,
such as Hosa Cable Little Bro 6x2 Audio Snake (50 Foot) at $100.45 with
6 send and 2 jacks for PA (which will slot into the Room Out on the
mixer above). With the 15 metre snake covering the majority of the
distance fromt he audio/videodesk at the rear of the room, we only need
short XLR leads fromt he box-end of the snake at the 'stage' to whatever
mics are there - and the Boundaries come with 3 metres of cable to start
with, so it would only be for a wired mic on the podium, and then a
short one from the wireless receiver(s) to the desk.

I'd like to organise the laptops first, as the current desktops +
screens + keyboards are taking up a lot of room in my garage. So, lets
meet on Mumble tomorrow (Wed 21st) at 7:30pm (install the Mumble client
on any platform except Android, and connect to mumble.plug.org.au), and
we can compare notes and hopefully place an order. We may be able to
squeeze three capture machines into one order and cover the bill. All
welcome - come and say hello and listen in if you like! I'll put this in
the PLUG calendar....

/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>