[plug] [OT] Transforming a technician run company

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Fri Nov 18 11:47:21 WST 2005

>>>I tend to regard [OT] messages as those that are strictly-speaked OT,
>>>but of interest to Linux users anyway. I would include a discussion on
>>>how to transform a computer support business to fall under that heading.
>>>How to make your front door bell sound like a flock of seagulls would go
>>>under "off-topic".
>>>
>>We start allowing off topic in this list and it loses it's potency.
>>People will unplug from the list because it's no longer the focus they
>>were after namely,  Locally focused technical support and advice for
>>Linux and Open Source Software.
>>
>There needs to be consistency.  So far it seems that if someone finds an OT
>post interesting then it's acceptable.  If they don't then we end up with
>cries for people to take the thread off-list.

All in all, some excellent points are made, but I think I agree with
Senectus the most...

If it is not about Linux and of obvious interest to the Perth Linux
Users Group then, by definition, it should not be on PLUG.
I think even the discussion of "how to transform a computer support
business" does fall into the category of 'other' - how many PLUG members
aren't even interested or involved in small business, I wonder?

Yes, we can just delete or move the off-topic posts, but if we used the
lists as they were intended (I assume) then this become automated by
processes such as mail filters.
If you are going to go to the trouble of putting in the "[OT]" just send
it to the other list!  If we are going to have to read and delete some
emails, it's as bad as SPAM, no?

As a benefit to being part of PLUG there is also the off-topic list
where all other technology and off interest type threads can be
discussed - problem solved!

As a subscriber to both lists, though still very new to PLUG myself, I
think this would be the simplest and best solution and would certainly
save most people time when trying to keep up to date with PLUG news...
and everything else on the off-topic list.

If people aren't getting the answers they want on the off-topic list,
then it is no reason to hit the mainstream list - no offence to you, Chris.
Actually, scratch that first bit, the off-topic IS the mainstream.  The
PLUG list is about Linux and should be cleaner.

Anyway, that's just my humble opinion because I'm just here the same as
everyone else.

/rant

--
Jonathan Young